Wednesday, January 6, 2010

FYI TMI I H8 UTIs

This wasn't what I had planned to write today, and there might be some of you who don't enjoy reading this. But I did warn you. I went to the doctor yesterday for my first pregnancy check up. I'm 16 weeks pregnant. I waited to go to the Dr.s until the new year (mostly to save having to pay my deductible twice) but also because it is my sixth pregnancy and it is going just like all the rest, and with 5 kids at home, I'm just to busy! But having waited until now, I have a lot of test that are needed to be done now. But I'm not sure why I have to do some of the blood work. Why do I need them to draw my blood to confirm that I am pregnant when the doctor used her Doppler and listened to the heart beat of the baby? Are they concerned that it's a tumor that has altered my hormones to make my body think it is pregnant...and that the tumor has a heart???Just wondering. But I have gone off on a tangent... I didn't intend to talk about my blood work either.

Ok not so known fact about me... I get UTIs... A LOT! It started back when I was a little kid (like two). I ended up having surgery on my bladder and kidney to fix ALL the problems that resulted in me having UTIs. And then they went away... Until I hit adulthood. When I am pregnant I get UTIs a lot (more often when I am pregnant with boys). I had a UTI that started on the 27th of December (my fourth this pregnancy). I did the antibiotic route and was feeling better when I went to the doctor yesterday. The Doctor (really nurse practitioner but that is too much to write so we'll just call her the doctor) asked if I was feeling better and if I thought the UTI was cleared up. I told her yes (this was at 1:40 pm). Buy 3:45 I was NOT feeling good anymore. And by 5:30 I knew that I either had another UTI or the last one was not gone all the way (I was only off antibiotics for two days). I then had to try to get a hold of the on call doctor and get him to call in antibiotics. Which he did...twice! The wonderful pharmacy lost/didn't get the order so I had to go through the whole process of getting a hold of the on call doctor again. And so last night was a painful, crappy feeling evening. I'm just thankful that my mom had invited us over for dinner, so I didn't have to worry about feeding my kids while I was stuck in the bathroom for hours :(

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I am so sorry, Karen! As if regular pregnancy symptoms weren't enough to deal with. I hope they go away SOON!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that stinks. I didn't ever get a UTI while pregnant but there was another "dry, active" thing I got while I was "baking" a "bun" in the "oven", if you get my meaning...

    Welcome to the blog family!

    ReplyDelete