Saturday, January 23, 2010

Names!!!

It has been so long since I got on to blog, that I all most forgot my sign in :) I have so many different things I could write, but it seems the most prevalent on my mind would be names. So I thought I would write about names tonight and get people helping out in the naming of our baby girl (we still have five months so it is not a HUGE rush).

While Josh and I were engaged we talked about the names for our future kids. Josh made the deal with me that if he got to name the first boy child Joshua junior, that I could name all the rest. I took this deal. But it really hasn't worked out that way.


Our oldest child is a boy and so he was named Joshua junior. There was no question once we found out he was a boy. We knew his name. We did have to try and decide what to call him, because we already had a Josh. Josh wanted to call him Junior, and I liked JJ. We called him Joshua for A LONG time because we couldn't agree on anything else. In fact we called him Joshua until he got old enough to tell us to call him Josh Jr. So my oldest is Josh Jr. to family and family friends, but he is just Josh at school and with his friends. I'm sure it will get more confusing as time goes by.




When we found out our second child was going to be a boy as well, I got excited to come up with his name. And I can honestly say I can't remember if there was a lot of discussion on what we would name him. I was reading a book and one of the important character's name was Benjamin. I liked Benjamin. I also thought that it would be fun to have a Justin (just-in-case haha). But I wasn't going to go with Justin for the first name, but I thought that Benjamin Justin Case sounded good, and people wouldn't have to know his middle name, so he shouldn't be picked on too much. And so he was Benjamin Justin Case the whole pregnancy. I thought Josh was good with this. And then he was born... And we had to fill out the paper work... And Josh started to think of all the times he would have to use his full name... And he is not Benjamin Justin Case. I did get Benjamin (though I don't know that we ever called him Benjamin), but I did not get Justin. We decide we would name him after his grand fathers. Josh's dad is Jerry and mine is Don. So his middle name is Jerdon. And it works for him. He has always been called Ben, and I don't see him going with anything else. He is our Ben.

When we were pregnant with our third child we did not find out what she was until she was born (it was not completely planned to do it that way, but that is another story). So we had to come up with a girl name and a boy name. We agreed pretty quick on a boys name (though I don't think I really picked it), but we could not agree on one for a girl. We had it down to two names for a girl. McKayla Joy and Brooklyn Joy. I liked McKayla, and Josh was all for Brooklyn. Our third child was a girl and so we had to decide at the hospital which name to go with. Josh really wanted Brooklyn and I agreed if we could change the middle name to Rose instead. So our oldest Daughter is Brooklyn Rose.



When we were pregnant with our fourth child we found out she was going to be a girl. Which was probably a good thing, so that we could figure out a name. I decided that since we had a Brooklyn that we should go for another city name for our second daughter. We quickly narrowed it down to Sydney Joy and Savannah Joy. I was for Sydney and Josh was for Savannah. We went to the hospital to have her still not agreeing on which name we would use. Our forth Child is Savannah Joy.

When we found out that our fifth kid was going to be a girl we had to pull out the maps. We had many family members and friend trying to come up with a city name that would work for us. And now we had the added requirement that it had to be in the U.S. Josh and I quickly agreed on the middle name, and both loved the name, but I was set that she had to have a city for her first name. I loved Alexandria...but Josh did not. We couldn't come up with a nick name that we could agree on for her. I have a nephew that goes by Alex and Josh didn't want another Alex (even though he lives in Ohio and we don't see him all that often). Josh also didn't like Lexi or Andy for a nick name... Josh did not like Alexandria. I couldn't list all the name we went through. I really clung to Alexandria, and Josh continued to look for something better. We had many friends and family members that searched U.S. maps in search of a name we both could agree on. About a week before our daughter was born, Josh's coworker came up with Catalina island. We couldn't find it as a city, but we decided that it might work..Or I guess I should say I decided it might work... Josh Loved it! I wasn't sold on it completely when we went to the hospital to have our baby. But Josh was.

Our fifth child's name is Catalina Jacquelle (her middle name is another story). And we call her Cat. I use to tease Josh all the time that I had made him a "Cat" lover :) Oh and FYI there is a city in the U.S. named Catalina :)
We are now expecting our sixth child... a girl! So we are headed to the drawing board (or maybe I should say map). We would love ideas, but there are a few requirements. It needs to be a city in the U.S. We would love to go with one that starts with an S or an S sound. We have two Js, two Bs, and two K sounds. So we thought that we would even things out with an S or S sounding name. We also need a middle name that is a J or a R (preferably an R). All of the middle names in our family are Js and Rs (we have three Rs right now and four Js). I know I'm crazy, and that we should just pick a name. I didn't intend for it to end up this way when we first started having the girls. But now I see why people end up with the names they do :)
Now I want to point out something. If you remember back to the beginning (sorry it's a long blog again) Josh and I made a deal. He got to name the first boy child and I got to name ALL the rest of the kids. I don't know if you paid attention to the names that "won", but I didn't fully name ANY of the kids. And as far as first names go, I have really only picked one (Ben). As I have sat here writing all this I figured something out. Josh waits until I have just given birth to the kids, and then he slips in the name he wants. I am to tired, over joyed, wiped out, what ever you want to call it. But I give in. He waits until he can slip it in on me... and he wins... every time! I guess this next time I need to decided what I want and be set for sure on it before I go to have the baby :)
Just an FYI... I Love all my kids names. I wouldn't change one of them. They are the right names for my kids... I just didn't get to pick them :)

3 comments:

  1. Just so you know, I love all your kids names too!!! I googled Cities That Start With S and it came to a website that listed all the S Cities... something to think about- there were a lot of them!! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, this was fun.

    Seneca
    Selma
    Saigon
    Sonora
    Salida
    Salina
    Sandy River (you could kill 2 birds with this one, first and middle)
    Shelby
    Sidney (this is what I would have like Jace's name to be if he had been a boy)

    For the middle name, I like Rachel or Rebecca...

    Congratulations and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheridan
    Sedona
    Shawnee
    Shelley
    Shannon
    Sidney
    Seneca
    Sadie--city name: Sadieville
    Sweden
    Skye--city name Skyesville
    Schyler--city name: Shcuyler
    Sheyenne/Cheyenne
    Sandy
    Syracuse
    Selah

    Just a few thoughts. Some are more interesting and unique than others! Happy picking.

    ReplyDelete