Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Hair today, gone tomorrow...

As a new mom (meaning a mom with a new born, not a first time mom), I always tend to worry more...  It starts during the pregnancy, and just continues to get worse after the baby is born ;) In fact Josh and I have had a little joke since our first little baby to help me put things back in reality...  Josh will ask me if the baby's head is going to fall off (story for another time)...  It's not really a funny statement, but it helps me to calm down some...  So it should be no surprise that the rapid loss of hair on my baby has caused me to worry some!

I know that newborns usually loose some or all of their hair...  And all six of my other kids have lost a good amount of hair...  But never this fast or this young...  And so my worry has sent me on a search for answers...  And here's what I have found...

1.  There are several diseases that cause more than normal hair loss.
2.  A couple of those diseases if left untreated can cause brain damage.
3.  One of the diseases could leave the person bald forever.
4.  Never let a new mom google things in the middle of the night :) Because she will NEVER get back to sleep!!!

Now on a better note...  All 50 states test babies at birth for most of these diseases...  In fact I think there was only one disease I found that causes rapid hair loss that babies are not tested for.  And thankfully that one does not cause brain damage.  And when I am being rational, I know that I shouldn't worry too much about Spencer's hair loss, even if he is almost bald.

No comments:

Post a Comment