Friday, January 11, 2013

Memories

I thought I would post a story from pre-family times in my life (you know to make a record of parts of my life)... This memory is from my third year of collage. It was my first year in the paramedic program. It was a Thursday in October or November. We were headed to the Grand Tetons for Search and Rescue. I was sick! I had bronchitis! And I had to go on a map and compass hike in the Grand Tetons... We were separated out into little groups of three people, given a map and compass, and given three different check points to find... It sucked! The first check point we headed to was on top of a steep peak, that was covered with shale (thin, flat rock that shifts as you walk on it). There was a longer, less steep route up the Mountain, but we did not take it... By the time we reached the first check point, I was ready for a nap :( But I had two more check points to get to, so I did not get a nap... The second check point was on a different peak covered in knee high grass/weeds... I was so tired hiking up this peak that the two guys I was with decided they need to help me keep going. One of the guys asked right in front of me so I could hold onto his backpack... The other guy walked right behind me lifting/pushing on my backpack to help me up the hill... They even promised me a piggy back ride down the hill if I just kept going... At one point the guys left me to walk up the rest of the peak on my own while they looked for landmarks to figure out where we needed to go... Probably not the best idea... When I got to the top of the peak we were on I couldn't find the guys... So I decided a nap was in order. I laid down right there on the cold hard ground to rest. When the guys got back, they couldn't see me because of the tall grass :) I survived the day, and I'd like to say it was fun, but really I don't remember it being much fun (it wasn't fun the next year either, but that is a story for another blog). We did get to see a moose and her calf up REAL close (she thought we were a little too close).

No comments:

Post a Comment