Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Myra

As parents we tend to get busy. At least I know I do. When Josh and I started having kids over 20 years ago, and planned out when to have them, I don’t think we took the future in to consideration as much as we should have (I know I didn’t). I didn’t think about how busy kids would be... or how, as the parent, I would have to run them here and there as often as I do... But now, as a parent of 7 VERY busy kids, I wish me of 20 years ago was here to help me run kids places, feed kids, watch kids, do homework with kids, and make sure they get home 😝

Myra recently got selected to be on student council for her elementary school (it’s not called student council, but I don’t remember what it’s called and Myra is asleep so I can’t ask her). They meet after school on the first Monday of the month. But for January they had to meet on the second Monday because they didn’t have school on the first Monday. That all being said, Myra had to stay after school yesterday. Myra is responsible for walking Spencer home from school. Since Myra was staying after school, and I can’t trust Spencer to walk home alone, I sent one of my middle school girls down to pick him up. And being a good mom, and not wanting Myra to have to walk home alone when her meeting got out, I sent the other middle school girl down to pick her up...
Cat took the dog on a walk, as well as my grand niece (my niece’s daughter) down to pick up Myra. They had been gone a little longer than normal when Cat came back (the very next day... I thought she was a goner, but she wouldn’t stay away...) alone (ok, not alone alone... she had the dog and grand niece with her). Cat could not find MYRA. And to top it off there weren’t any cars or kids at the elementary school. Savannah and Cat took off and went to go back and look again, making sure that both ways to the school were cornered so that we didn’t just “miss” Myra somewhere. And I set out to find the paper work on student council with a million different thoughts and worries rushing through my brain. Things like - I don’t know how to get ahold of anyone from the school, I don’t know the teachers name that runs student council, did we have the wrong day and Myra has been missing for an hour instead of ten mins, what was Myra wearing today (I could not remember) l, how long do we look before we call the police, can we get in the school someway and check for Myra... And on, and on, and on...  I thought about getting Josh to cone help look...  I wanted to jump in the car and drive throughout the neighborhood to find her... I wanted to cry... I did pray... and I searched (and never found) for the paperwork for student council...
Ten minutes later (it felt like it had been an hour) Cat and Savannah came in with Myra. She had been at the elementary school... Student council went to 4:45 not 4:30... There were lots of parents there picking up kids (parents that could find their paper, or maybe paid better attention to things)... And Myra was safe and sound the whole time...
I’m so thankful that everything turned out just fine. I’m thankful for Cat and Savannah being so willing to run down to the school to look for their lost sister. I’m thankful that even though I didn’t get the timing right on Myra’s activity, Myra was able to do student council as well as make it home safe and sound.
 I know I just shared this picture, but I love Myra’s smile 

1 comment:

  1. First, this was a great ‘real life’ story to share but not easy to relive I’m sure.
    Second, I just LOVE the song reference to one of our favorite family joke songs. #classic

    ReplyDelete