Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Addictions!!!

I have an addiction!!!  OK I actually have many, but today I am going to share one of them....  I am addicted to winning!  I don't mean board games or Fantasy Football (my oldest son Josh Jr. actually beat me this last week in our fantasy football game).  I mean winning STUFF.  Like from the radio. Or other give-a-ways.  I have a VERY hard time not trying to go for it.  I always call on radio give-a-ways...  And there was a time when I won ALL the time.


It was about 7 years ago (wow how time flies!).  We had moved to a new house (not the one we are in now) and had given up cable.  This was very hard on me.  Shortly after we moved, we found out we were expecting our third child.  I was very sick for the first few months of the pregnancy, and we had NO TV for the two boys (ages 3 and 1 at the time) to watch.  We didn't even get the local channels.  I will admit that I let them watch a lot of movies (I was sick... lost 20 lbs from throwing up and not being able to eat).  But after awhile I got very bored with watching the movies with them (I still have a hard time watching animated movies with my kids).  We didn't have Internet so there was no computer to play on either.  I did read... A LOT!!!  I read the complete "Work and the Glory" series along with two or three other series with 8 or more books, and several random other books.  But that too would get boring at times.  And so the radio would go on.



Pirates of the Caribbean

After awhile of listening you start to figure DJs out.  If the give-a-way was a question that you had to answer I would figure it out.  The DJs would give sly clues and if you listened often enough you would pick up on them.  Other DJs would always do their "Be the 9th caller to win" give-a-ways at about the same time each day.  It only took listening for a couple of weeks to know what station gave away stuff at what time.  I would listen to a station at certain times each day and then switch to another station after that give-a-way was done.  I even had a note with all the radio station numbers written down so I could call fast.



I won LOTS!!!  I mean LOTS!!!  And winning didn't really give me enough of a fix.  I had to win again and again.  But with most radio stations you can only win every three weeks, for all the stations owned by one company.  Sometimes I cheated and won for my sister when I was not able to win (because I had just won).  I would (and still do) call any time I heard a DJ say to be the ??? caller.

I have won movie tickets... The first Pirates movie, Charlie's Angles, the last Indiana Jones movie, and MANY more.

I have won tickets to the state fair and Colbie Caillat's concert

I have won gift certificate to Manitu Springs shops

I have won gift cards to many different food places... Panera bread, Chick-fil-a, Sonic, McDonald's

I have won tickets to the Parade of Homes

McDonald's

I won many more things that I have forgotten

I love to win!!!

The reason behind today's post is...  I won today!!!  My friend recently started a new blog www.coloradospringsgiveaways.com that has a give-a-way a day.  And I won the first give-a-way!  I won $100 gift card to shops in downtown Colorado Spring.  I am so excited!!!  And now I want to win more :)

3 comments:

  1. That is too funny, Karen! It was meant to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have all the luck in the world, and I think you should just keep right on winning things!! Congrats on your latest (but certainly not last) win!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two things:
    First, I miss those days when you used to win lots and am excited for them to pick up again. It was awesome to have you "treat" us to many nights out on the town. :)
    Second, I had NO IDEA that was the reason you couldn't stand to watch animated movies! I feel so bad ... I'll never force you to watch one with us again ...

    especially not when you could be winning stuff instead! :)

    ReplyDelete