Monday, June 6, 2011

Catalina Jacquelle Case

Just four short years ago Catalina joined our family.  And not a day goes by that she doesn't bring joy and laughter.  Since I didn't blog about her birth last year, I thought I would do it today...

My due date for Catalina was the 4th of June.  The whole pregnancy was rather easy.  Josh Jr was in 1st grade, and both Ben and Brooklyn were in preschool for three hours a day, four days a week.  The school was far enough away that we had to drive (which is funny, because it is the school right by our house now)!  Savannah was just over one when we found out that we were going to have our 5th little baby.  I would drop Ben and Brooklyn off at preschool and then go home.  Savannah would fall asleep on the way home (I would drive until she did).  And then she would sleep for the whole time the kids were in school.  And probably three out of those four days I would nap as well!  Oh those were the days :)

The end of the pregnancy brought some fun times.  Catalina decided to follow Savannah's example and flip around many times while in my belly.  Three weeks before my due date Catalina was sideways.  They estimated that her weight was around 6 and a half pounds already.  We went through the whole turning the baby thing with Savannah, and she was very hard to move (and she weighed 6 lbs. 6 oz.). I was worried if we waited to she if she would turn, that we would be out of luck.  So we had her turned.  And thank goodness she stayed. 

I don't remember why but the doctor's office offered to induce me... But they did, only it was for the 30th of May.  And I was hoping to have her in June.  So I said no, thinking that they would set it up for the next week.  But they didn't.  They thought they would wait until the 11th of June (a whole week after my due date)!  I had a doctor's appointment on the 5th of June.  The doctor walked in and asked if I was ready to have a baby the next day.  I told him I would love too, however I was not set up to be induced until the 11th.  My doctor was not to happy!  He didn't deliver Savannah because she came too fast (and he was in the hospital).  I think he was afraid I would go into labor and not make it to the hospital in time.

My doctor told us to come back the next morning.  He planned to find some reason for me needing to be induced.  Josh and I worked things out with the grandmas to keep the four kids that night, so we wouldn't need to worry about dropping them off early.  We dropped the kids off and went to dinner.  We came home to get a good nights sleep.

My sister-in-law was lonely because her husband was out of town, so she dropped by and spent the night.

Around 5:30 I woke in labor.  Not overly strong contraction, but there was still contractions...  I watched TV for a little while, and then woke Josh up so we could ready to go to the doctor appointment.  We had forgot to take something for the girls to my mom's house when we dropped them off, so we dropped it off on the way to the doctor.  I was still having steady contractions at this point.  We went to the doctors appointment, and my doctor agreed that I was already in labor, and sent us on to the hospital, saying he would be there at noon to break my water and start me pitotion.

We got to the hospital, it was Memorial North, and it had only been open for a little over a month.  It was exciting to be at the "New" hospital.  They checked us in and got me in a room.  They went a head and started giving me antibiotics, because I had Strep B.  And the labor continued....  And continued...  The nurse checked me around 9:50am and I was about a 5, but still having strong contractions.  Almost as soon as she left everything changed.  The whole feeling of the contractions changed, and I knew that Catalina was coming quickly now.  I waited a couple contractions, and then I had Josh call the nurse back in.  She thought we called because my water had broke (my water NEVER breaks).  I told the nurse it was time to call the doctor.  She didn't believe me.  She thought that maybe her checking me had caused a couple contraction to be harder, but that we should wait a little while and see, I mean after all I was only a 5.  I retold her to call the doctor, and then pointed out that the doctor had been down the hall with my last delivery and the nurse had paged him when I was a 7 and that he had NOT made it to my room in time to deliver my baby.  She finally gave in and called him.   The call went something like this... Nurse - "Dr. Bianco she said to call you because she thinks it is time, but I just checked her and she is only a 5."  Dr. B - "She said to call?  Tell her I am on my way!"

Thank goodness Dr. B remembered Savannah's delivery!  He got to the hospital fast, but as it was I still ended up waiting for several minutes.  He came in and broke my water (again my water NEVER breaks on its own), and Catalina was delivered on the next contraction.  The cord was wrapped around her neck, and they had to cut the cord off, but besides that all went well.  Catalina was born at 10:50am.  She was a healthy 6 lbs. 11 oz.  She was a beautiful little baby.  And now she is growing into a wonderful little girl.  She brings so much joy and laughter to our house.  I can't imagine our family with out her.   Happy Birthday Catalina Jacquelle Case!!!



Oh and I have to add.  Today I was the meanest mommy ever to her when I wouldn't let her have another fruit roll up, but her BFF "Best Girl Friend"  when I put on Curious George!  :)

1 comment:

  1. Two things:
    First, I love that the nurse (no matter who she is) NEVER believes us when we tell them that it is time to get the Doctor. I don't blame them because they must see so many new parents who THINK it's time but the nurse really does know better. But listen here Nurse Whatever ... this is NOT our first rodeo! Get the darn Doctor! :)
    Second, Catalina will always be your BFF, as long as you give her everything she wants! :)

    ReplyDelete