Thursday, June 16, 2011

Cub Scout Day Camp take 2

I went to Cub Scout Day camp again today.  The weather said it was going to be in the mid 90's today!  YUCK!!!  But I prepared for it,  I brought three water spraying fans and I froze water in my water bottle...  It did get hot today (ice was melted long before lunch), but not as hot as they said it would.  Which was good since I took the car with out air conditioning.  The boys got to start their day with shooting!  They were very excited for it.  Ben's aim was a little off, but he was a good sport about it.  But then we discovered that the top to his Gatorade was not on quite tight enough, and it had leaked out while they were shooting.  But after we talked and I told him he could have another one later he cheered up.  They boys also got to make "covered wagons".  It was a pine wood derby car that they topped with a "cover".  And then they got to race them!  This helped Ben to be happy...  His won First almost every time! I am bummed that I forgot my camera.

The rest of the day went by non-eventfully until the end.  The wind started to pick up in the afternoon (breaking my sun glasses) and the clouds started to roll in.  For a while it even looked like it might rain.  Then the end of the day came.  The boys were done were their last station.  All we had left was flag ceremony.  That's when the windy went CRAZY!!!  We were kind of in a valley, and it made a great tunnel for the wind to go speeding through.  And the ground was very dry so the wind picked up a lot of dirt!!!  And we soon found our selves in the middle of a massive dirt storm!!!

We quickly found shelter (some what) behind the black smith's shop.  But we were still a ways off from the cars.  The boys were a little scared (maybe more than a little).  We had an extra boy in our group that was not going home with us.  And we needed to find his Aunt.  I left my keys with one of the other leaders, and took of with Allen to find his ride.  He was not so happy about this.  He was scared and just wanted to go home.  We walked quickly to the other shelter (a tall fence) were there seemed to be a lot of people waiting.  Allen was crying by this point.  Unfortunately his Aunt was not to be found there either.  At this point I was not sure what to do.  I did not think it would be a good idea to try to go back into the grounds area.  The wind was blowing so hard you could barely see across the field.  I decide to go back to the black smith's shop and see if his Aunt had turned up.

By the time I got back there, one of the head BSA leaders was trying to figure out who was where and who could leave.  All of our boys were piled into one of the leaders cars (she had ran and gotten it).  And the other leader was waiting for me with all of our stuff (chairs, and a cooler, etc.)  I explained to the BSA leader that I could not find Allen's Aunt and where I had looked.  She said to leave Allen with her and she would find her.  We then told her that the rest of our pack was leaving.  The other leader and I then took all of our stuff as fast as we could to our cars, where we met the boys (who were still stuffed in one car) and then headed home.  I felt a little bad leaving Allen because he was so scared.  I hope that they were able to find his Aunt quickly for him.

The drive home was calm.  And the car was even not too bad (for having no AC).  I did have to make a pit stop though for the boys to use a bathroom.  They had drank so much water at their last station.  The mean lady running that station made them drink A LOT, so much in fact that Ben's stomach started to hurt some...  And the lady kept telling them to drink more.  Ben looked at me and told me he didn't think he could, that's when I told him to just pretend to drink :)

1 comment:

  1. Poor Allen. And poor Ben ... but thankfully you taught him the "fake drink" technique. It really is too bad you don't have any pictures from this because I am sure the written description doesn't do it justice.

    ReplyDelete