Monday, February 7, 2011

Technology




This evening our kids school was holding a meeting to raise money for Technology.  I have to be honest, I wouldn't have gone if Josh Jr. hadn't had to be there.  Josh Jr's teacher was in charge of the whole shindig, and she had her whole class there to help present things.  So I went...

First I have to say that I think Josh Jr. and his class mates did a fantastic job on all their presentations.  They are just fifth graders, but they had many different presentations on the computer to so how they can use technology.   I walked away thinking that Josh and I SHOULD donate to the school for the technology lab they are hoping to update.  But I also have to ask...  When is it to much technology?

Josh Jr's class is one of three or four that is trying out a system that allows the teacher to talk into a small microphone hung around her neck.  And hie class is adapted with surround sound.  There are speakers hung around his room so that all the kids can here what the teacher is saying through the microphone.  They also made it a point to let us know tonight that the 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade classes all have 52 inch monitor hung in their room and that the teachers computer is connected to these screens, and she can show them their work and other things on these screens.  And this is where I have to ask, WHY?  Do they really need 52 inch monitor.  Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grade only have 42 inch...  And this seemed to be a problem.  So my question tonight is... When is it too much technology?

1 comment:

  1. It is always amazing to me which "technological advances" receive the most actual money toward them, and which ones seem to get lost int he shuffle. I saw the pallets of 52-inch TVs a few weeks ago outside the school and I wondered what was sacrificed in order to get those. I am hoping it was just a generous donor from an electronics store ... but I doubt it! :)

    ReplyDelete