Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Can't Breath!

I blogged almost two weeks ago that I was going to do a sleep study, to see if I had sleep apnea.  And I do have it...  Haven't actually heard back from the doctor yet about it, but during the sleep study they came in and woke me up to put me on C-Pap(???).  When I told Josh the experience of breathing on the C-Pap he about died laughing, and thought I should share.  So bear with me as I try to illustrate to you with words what it is like to breath on C-Pap...

I couldn't tell you what the little device looks like because it was the middle of the night and I had no contacts or glasses... and I don't think the lady really turned on the light.  But we went with a nasal device instead of a mask that covered my nose or nose and mouth.  The nasal thing went at the bottom of my nose and sealed off the openings.  It strapped on to my head some how (again not really awake and blind), and it had a chin strap to help keep my mouth closed.  Because you are suppose to breath only through your nose!  Not to hard... Really I do it all the time.  As I am writing this I have my mouth close and I am just breathing through my nose... and I have been for minutes!  But as the lady left me hooked up to this WEIRD thing that is pushing air into my nose, she told me to keep my mouth closed, and to just breath through my nose.

I think this it what it must
 have looked like, but not sure
I thought I was going to DIE!!!  I was going to suffocate.  I actually started to hyperventilate a little bit.  There was TOO much air going though my nose that I didn't know what to do.  I felt like I wasn't getting ANY air actually into my lungs.  And even though the lady told me to breath through my nose, I had to open my mouth and take a couple of big breaths!  But when you open your mouth with air being forced up your nose... the air just comes out your mouth!  I had to mentally calm myself several times through out the night.  Convincing myself that I could actually breath, and that I was not going to suffocate.  I don't know how I will be able to sleep with C-Pap on...

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, that makes me feel very claustrophobic! Dad better not read this post or he will have a major anxiety attack! How on earth did you survive this experience?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post simply does not do justice to the way Karen's face wrinkles and contorts as she describes how she felt with the c-pap on. You'll just have to ask her in person to understand why I was laughing so hard.

    Love you Pretty Lady !!!

    ReplyDelete