Thursday, March 17, 2011

Why does it always happen at night???

I'm not talking sick kids (although that did happen last night), or natural disasters (even though those do seem to happen during the night more often than not)...  No what I am talking about is a certain car that likes to stop running...  after it's dark!  I blogged about "Jazzmine" last year (you can go here if you want to read it)http://jandkcase.blogspot.com/2010/01/jasmin.html.  Last January when I had the fun adventure it turned out to be the alternator.  And Josh was able to replace it with the help of my dad, and our good friend Tony.  In doing this they removed the power steering reservoir (because it was in the way and cracked, so it didn't really do anything...  or so we thought).  This was last January/early February...  After that the can ran great.  It still didn't have power steering, but it was a good work out for the upper arms to drive with out.  I just made sure not to park anywhere where it would be tight to back out...

Now fast forward to the end of August/early September...  Josh went up to Denver with my brother Bob, his son Alex, and our two boys to watch some Bronco training thing...  They are headed home after a long fun evening in the Mile High City...  And I get a call telling me that the car had died...  And they are sitting on the side of I-25.  And of course it is dark!  I quickly loaded up the youngest three girls (luckily Brooklyn was sleeping over at a friends) and headed up to pick up people, while Josh stayed with the car until his dad could get there and tow him home.  This time it was the serpentine belt...  Or more correctly it was the crank that turned the serpentine belt.  See it turns out that the power steering fluid was actually lubricating the crank as well as providing power steering...  So Josh and my dad had to go find a new power steering reservoir...

Josh did find what he needed to fix the car, and with the help of my dad and many hours of labor, Jazzmine was up and running again...  Now let's fast forward to this evening...  I skipped the Relief Society Birthday dinner (even though I made part of the meal) to go to the Temple with a friend for her birthday.  Josh mentioned to me a couple days ago when we started to figure things out for tonight, that the battery light for his car was coming on sometimes when he drove...  He also said I should/could just take the van to Denver.  But I didn't want to leave Josh without a car big enough to take everyone all afternoon/evening.  Plus he had to take the food I made to the church!

So I took Jazzmine up to Denver...  And I will admit that in the back of mind was the thought that his car was going to die on me, and that I would be stuck on the side of I-25 with a dead car...  But I have a VERY active imagination and figured I was just being a worry wart...  One of these days I promise I will get better at listening to the still small voice...  So I went to Denver today.  Went to the Temple and got to catch up with a friend I haven't seen in a while...  We got out of the Temple about 5:50...  Now if I had just come home then it wouldn't have been dark...  And I could have still gone to part of the RS dinner...  But I went to dinner with my friend and her family...  Now it is 7pm as I am heading home...  And it's not dark yet...  But I have my head lights on so that other can see me...  I got to just south of Castle Rock when I notice the radio was cutting in and out...  Like when I used my turn signal...  Then the odometer stopped working (sounding familiar ???)  Oh and I had no head lights...  And then wouldn't you know it, the whole car died!  Yep, right there on I-25!  And now it was Dark!!!!

I called Josh, and my dad, and they both came to the rescue.  And I am home safe and sound...  Jazzmine is in a dirt field in Larkspur, because she wouldn't hold a charge longer than 5 to 10 minutes.  We have the battery and going to charge it over night, and hopefully tomorrow we can get Jazzmine home.  But we are back to where we were 14 months ago...  What do we do???  What is wrong with Jazzmine???  And is she just too old and we need to look into something else???  But the real question is...  Why does it always happen at night???

1 comment:

  1. Like cats always landing on their feet or toast always landing butter-side down ... it just happens that way!

    I am so sorry that you got stuck ... but I think Jazmine is like Herbie ... she is very possessive of me driving her and really doesn't even want passengers along for the ride. I'll get her all "good as new" this Thursday (or into next Monday) and then maybe she will forgive you. :)

    But just like that guy in Monty Python and the Holy Grail she's "Not dead yet!" :)

    ReplyDelete